Studying abroad in a foreign university may be a two way sword that cuts both ways. For some, it is fun and thrilling to amass into a new environment and experience new things like never before. For others, it may be an experience filled with sorrow and deep regrets. Either way, it is important to be prepared before embarking on this educational journey. For instance one must look at factors such as
- – The various universities that offer your desired program(s).
- – Their policies on foreign students.
- – The availability of scholarships and grants.
Most universities offer scholarships to students who perform well in sports and other arts. In some cases, students from developing countries without adequate finances are given priority. It is important to note that the above considerations will enable one to compare and contrast various universities,make personal assessment and choose the one that best fits the interest. Other factors to consider are discussed below.
The thought of learning a new culture is what excites most students who opt to study abroad. Change is always inevitable as the adage puts it is an attractive component of life. Education is a perfect blend of studying and fun. On cannot exist without the other. However, culture shocks may paralyze the learning process and yield negative results. One should thus consider:
- – The predominant religion in the foreign country of choice.
- – Their beliefs and attitudes towards foreigners. If one can cope up with the shock, the better for him or her.
It is important to note that various countries have different levels of economic growth and development. Living costs can be measured in terms of the housing available for the student and the pores of other basic items such as food and clothing. This understanding enables the student to plan adequately and budget accordingly. Other considerations should include:
- – Access to social and basic amenities such as water, sanitation, phone services and electricity.
- – The availability of transport networks and their charges such as airways.